Relax, Refresh & Revive!
What is Reflexology?
Reflexology is a type of complementary therapy that is based on the principle that areas of the feet, known as ‘reflex zones,’ correspond to different areas of the body. When pressure is applied to these reflex zones it is believed that the body’s natural ability to heal itself is stimulated, restoring health.
What to expect
When you arrive for your first treatment, you will be asked about your medical history, health issues, lifestyle and diet – this should take about 15 minutes. You will then be asked to remove your shoes and socks.
During the treatment, painless pressure will be applied to your feet using thumb and forefinger to help identify which areas of your body are not functioning properly. A reflexology session usually lasts 30 to 60 minutes and focuses on the soles of your feet. However, if you are very ticklish, your hands can be used to the same effect.
Benefits of Reflexology
The most obvious effect of reflexology is that it can greatly reduce stress by inducing a very deep sense of relaxation, however it can also identify and help treat various conditions wherever they may be found and encourage the body to heal itself. Other benefits can include:
- Improved circulation;
- Balanced blood pressure;
- Deepened sleep/reduced insomnia;
- Eases aches and pains by relaxing the musculature;
- Improved mobility of joints;
- Stimulates mental function and helps concentration.
- Hormone balancing – this can help with PMT and the menopause;
- Improved skin condition and tone;
- Can relieve indigestion, constipation, diarrhoea, and other digestive disorders;
- Slows and deepens breathing
- Encourages the expulsion of mucus;
- Helps urinary problems such as cystitis;
- Prevents illnesses from occurring/seek out causes of illness.
All in all, reflexology is a very relaxing experience – the benefits from which can be enjoyed by anyone of any age and gender!
After your treatment
When your treatment has finished, I will invite you to relax for a further 5-10 minutes. However, there are several steps you should take once you leave to fully feel the benefits of your treatment:
- Increase your water intake;
- Don’t do any strenuous exercise for 3-4 hours afterwards;
- If any oils are used during your treatment, I recommend you keep them on your skin for about a day afterwards;
- If any stiffness in the muscles occurs, do some gentle stretching – particularly in the neck/shoulder area;
- Don’t undergo any heat treatment for 24 hours – this includes sunbeds, infrared lamps and saunas;
- Don’t have a heavy meal after treatment;
- Treat yourself to a relaxing Epsom salt bath and a cup of herbal tea!
I can also give advice on recommended oils/creams, dietary changes and postural exercises.
A contraindication is something which either prevents or restricts a treatment from being carried out. I will establish any contraindications before the treatment is carried out – I can then advise you on other treatments which you may benefit from, or recommend medical advice if appropriate.
Please note a reflexology treatment in no way replaces the need for proper medical treatment. With any condition, your first contact should be with your G.P or health centre.
For a full list of contraindications please click here.
Contra-actions are rare reactions some people may have following a treatment, usually with a rapid onset. You may begin to feel worse before your condition gets better – although unlikely, this is normal and part of the healing process.
Usually however, reactions to the treatment are pleasant and you should experience a feeling of relaxation and calmness. You will hopefully also find that you have increased levels of energy and feel rejuvenated!
If you would like to experience the most relaxing & beneficial reflexology limavady has to offer, book a treatment today.
24a Windyhill Rd, Limavady BT49 0JW
Closed Tues, Sat, Sun